This recipe is so light and delicious that you won’t feel overly full afterwards. Here you get Greek food at it’s healthiest.
Many Greeks actually eat Bakaliaros (Μπακαλιάρος) on certain fasting days, where they can not eat meat or other animal products.
Serves 3-4 people
- 500 grams of cod (frozen) – the same as 4 pieces
- 3 leeks
- 1 kilogram potatoes
- A whole stalk of celery
- 3 spring onions
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 1.25 dl of olive oil
- 3 dl of water
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- Pepper to taste
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- Rinse the leeks, celery and the spring onions well. Chop all three ingredients into small pieces. With the leeks, you cut them in half on the long side, before chopping the stems into pieces (use the green top part of one of the leeks as well, and only the white part from the other two).
- Mix together all greens in a bowl.
- Peel the potatoes and slice into flat pieces.
- Juice the two lemons.
- In a large pot, layer the ingredients. First you place 1/3 of the greens on the bottom of the pot, followed by 1/3 of the potatoes and two pieces of cod. (Rinse cod with cold water first).
- Sprinkle some salt on the bottom layer (evenly sprinkle salt on each layer, so you use two teaspoons in total).
- Repeat with another layer of greens, potatoes, cod, and a sprinkle of salt. At last you place the remaining greens and potatoes to top it all off.
- Add the oil, lemon juice, rest of the salt, pepper, and water to the pile. No stirring, just pouring.
- Put the pot on the stove top and start cooking on a high heat (7 out of 9).
- When you see it boil and the vegetables have released a decent amount of water (after about 15 minutes), take the pot off the heat and hold it with your hands. Gently move the pot in a circular motion to stir and move the water around.
- Put the pot back on burner, turn the heat down and cook on medium temperature (5 out of 9) for another 45 minutes. Make sure to shake the pot a bit every now and again.
- On your own plate, add more salt or lemon if necessary to enhance the flavor.
Enjoy with a Greek salad of your choice.